As the air transitions from summer days to fall nights here in HighPointe Insurance Services LLC, it’s easy to think about corn mazes, caramel apples, and hay rides. But did you know that autumn is the opportunity to prevent damage in your home? Prepare for winter now to make the most of your home insurance coverage. We’ll show you five ways you can take care of your home in Overland Park, KS during the fall.
1. How’s the roof looking? Check the roof for any worn-out shingles and flashing. Replace them now before the snow settles on your roof since home insurance doesn’t cover normal wear and tear. If you’re afraid of heights, call a professional.
2. Unclog your home. Cleaning out your home’s gutters and furnace filters is like unclogging your arteries and prevents future problems. Have a professional examine your furnace since you’ll want it ship-shape for the winter.
3. Get your ‘winter coat’ on. Seal up any cracks and gaps in the house with caulk and weather stripping. It not only lowers your electric bill, it helps protect your home from moisture damage.
4. Pay attention to the hot stuff. If you have a wood-burning or gas fireplace, have a professional come inspect it and clean it out. Fire damage is covered by home insurance, but you’ll want to stay diligent with the residue.
5. Go for a stroll. Inspect your steps, driveway and sidewalks to ensure the prevention of guest injuries. Home insurance does cover personal liability, but who needs the headache this year?
Want to learn about other things home insurance covers? We’re happy to answer your questions at HighPointe Insurance Services LLC in Overland Park, KS. We look forward to hearing from you!
Not only is moving painstaking and tiring, the packing and unpacking part may be the worst of it. Items must be individually put into boxes and sometimes even wrapped so they are protected for the move itself. All of this can be very time-consuming and stressful. So here are a few tips to alleviate the packing process and allow you to get into your new place sooner and begin to enjoy it.
GET RID OF IT OR SELL IT
Look around your place and make that final decision on whether you really need this or that thing anymore. This move may be a great opportunity to purge some of those items you have been holding on to for a while for whatever reason. You can give them away or even sell them and use to profits to pay for the move, or buy yourself something brand new and nice.
INSURE YOUR ITEMS
Get a renters or home insurance policy to insure your items you are moving so you don’t have to worry about losing or breaking them during the move itself. Check in with HighPointe Insurance Services LLC who is known to serve the greater Overland Park, Kansas area with these types of insurance policies.
USE LUGGAGE AS BOXES
One way to efficiently pack items simple for the move is to use all of the bags you own to move items for you from point A to point B. This will save you money on boxes or time gathering free boxes and sort of move two things that you own at once.
Even though it looks cheap and they aren’t as sturdy as a box, there are plenty of items you can transport with garbage bags. Utilize them as they are easy to acquire in bulk for very cheap!
If the power goes out at your home in Overland Park, you need to know what to do. A little bit of preparation can go a long way to keep your family safe, fed, and entertaining for as long as the power may be out.
Food Isn’t Going to Last
Your food inside of your refrigerator and freezer are going to last forever. It’s a good idea to keep a thermometer that doesn’t involve power so that you can keep an eye on temperatures. It is also helpful to fill bottles of water and keep them frozen inside the freezer. This can help to extend temperatures for longer.
You should also plan on stocking your pantry with items that don’t require refrigeration or cooking. Popular items to keep in stock include granola bars, jerky, and peanut butter. Be sure to focus on high nutrient items that your family will enjoy eating for as long as the power is out.
You Need Hot Water
You are going to need hot water for a lot of different things, including purified water, doing laundry, and sanitizing dishes. In order to get hot water, you can keep using a solar oven, a fuel-efficient outdoor rocket stove, or even a grill.
Kids Can Grow Stir Crazy
Kids are often going to be the first to go stir crazy. This is because they won’t have access to video game consoles, TVs, or anything else. Have board games, decks of cards, and puzzle available so that they can keep themselves entertained for long periods of time.
At HighPointe Insurance services we look forward to helping you with life’s events. Your homeowner’s insurance policy can provide plenty of coverage to help you out in Overland Park. Call today and learn how we can help.